Thursday, October 15, 2009

Eat low on the food chain

Sylvia Earle's new book, The World is Blue: How Our Fate and the Ocean's Are One, recieved the "Colbert Bump" Tuesday night and this interview alone has caused me to re-examine the fish that remain in my own diet. Of course, many of you have seen me whip out my trusty EPA Pocket Seafood Selector at meals and likely chosen the fish or shellfish with the smallest finprint on our oceans and collective environment right alongside me - but perhaps that isn't enough. Check out the stats Sylvia drops on Stephen:



So whattaya say, folks? Can we all commit to choosing fish that are low on the food chain? Vote with our forks?

2 comments:

Niko said...

When i am at home in the comforts of the fabulous US, i am not nearly as informed or careful about what i tear into with my fork....but we (the US) are such a small percentage of the world (albiet biggest consumers) what effect do we really have on the critters in the ocean? Others in this world eat whatever, whenever they can, and are a much larger force? Just my thoughts, and I hope to see yours, yet again, another thought provoking topic for the blog!!

Deborah said...

OMG. I can't even respond to this, Niko. LOL. Look at the size of the average American. Now look at the size of... I dunno... an ENTIRE FAMILY in Afghanistan or any other country other than China. Who do you think eats more fish!?!?!?!